We have facilitated and tutored two week (live-in) residential courses since 2013. We decided not to do a residential course in 2020 – good decision.
However, we are doing a 4 module course for 2021 – all going according to plan. This consist of 4 modules on a seasonal basis of 3 to 4 days each. The first will be a Summer/Fire module in January, followed by an Autumn/Water one in April, a Winter/Earth (3 day) one in July, and a Spring/Air one in October. This course will be facilitated by Toru Education Trust (https://www.toru.nz/courses/ ), and will be held partly at our place and partly at Waihoanga Centre (https://waihoanga.co.nz/ ) beside the Otaki River.
This course is full, unless someone has to withdraw.
A summary of what the course covers is:
- Introduction to permaculture principles and ethics
- Guidelines and strategies for healthy and sustainable living.
- Connection to nature and place.
- Observation and recognising nature’s patterns and ecosystems.
- Design methods and presentation.
- Nourishing body, mind and spirit.
- Introduction to biodynamics and astronomy
- Introduction to Maori food politics & Hua Parakore: a kaupapa Maori approach to growing.
- Food – Home gardening: from living soil to nourishing food.
- Water – essence of life.
- Building – Natural building & Appropriate technologies.
- Cultural transformation and natural economics.
- Creating resilient and healthy communities.
- Design methods and presentation
The course is a recognised permaculture design certificate course by PiNZ, the New Zealand permaculture organisation.
We facilitate these course for all learning styles, as open creative learning. The course includes a variety of design exercises, practical activities, field trips, group and project work, as well as presentations and DVDs.